Why our portal is closed for 2016 UTME registration - JAMB

 JAMB gives reason why its portal has be closed for registration

– The board says there won’t be any special centre for the 2016 UTME

– Over one million candidates have registered for the 2016 UTME

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has addressed report of a planned protest over the closure of its registration portal ahead of the 2016 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), NAN reports.

It was gathered that some alleged prospective candidates in Edo and Lagos states are planning to stage a protest over the closure of JAMB’s registration portal in preparation to the UTME.

Addressing the situation in a statement released today, Sunday, February 11, Dr Fabian Benjamin, the head of the media and information of the board, said JAMB is aware of the alleged protests.

JAMB says it's aware of protests by alleged prospective candidates over the closure of the board’s registration portal ahead of the 2016 UTME

JAMB says it’s aware of protests by alleged prospective candidates over the closure of the board’s registration portal ahead of the 2016 UTME

Fabian’s statement reads in part: “The attention of JAMB has been drawn to protests by some alleged prospective candidates in Edo and Lagos states over the closure of the board’s registration portal in preparation to the UTME.

“The board sincerely sympathises with the plight of these prospective candidates.

“It is indeed the wish of the board that the Nigerian youth desirous of tertiary education are given ample opportunity to register for its examination.

“This is why it began the sale of its application document in August 2015, which is about seven months ago.

“In the advertisement for the sale of the registration documents, the board clearly stated that the sales would close by January.

“But due to public appeal it extended the registration process to February.

“We will not allow candidates to register perpetually and this is why we adhere strictly to the time table we had.

“We all must work to enshrine the culture of discipline in the system and ensure that tertiary institutions calendars are not truncated.

“It is most unfortunate that some candidates waited until our website was withdrawn before making attempts to register.

“Every aspiring candidate was expected to know the procedure as proper publicity involving the media was done.”

Dr Benjamin also revealed that JAMB would not create any special centre for the 2016 UTME.

The UTME, which will be Computer Base Test (CBT) mode all through, is expected to begin on Monday, February 29.

It was learnt that over one million candidates are expected to sit for the examination that will last for seven days. The candidates have so far registered for the examination on the all CBT platform within and outside the country.